1. United States – In 2021, the United States underwent a political transition with the inauguration of President Joe Biden, following the presidential election of 2020. This marked a change in leadership from former President Donald Trump.
2. Myanmar – In February 2021, a military coup took place in Myanmar, overthrowing the civilian government led by Aung San Suu Kyi. This led to widespread protests and ongoing political turmoil in the country.
3. Belarus – In 2020, Belarus faced a major political crisis following a disputed presidential election. Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko’s reelection sparked mass protests, with demonstrators demanding new elections and the resignation of Lukashenko.
4. Ethiopia – In 2018, Abiy Ahmed was appointed as the Prime Minister of Ethiopia, bringing significant political reforms to the country. However, the country has recently faced political and ethnic tensions, along with conflicts in the Tigray region.
5. Bolivia – In 2019, Bolivia experienced a major political change following the resignation of former President Evo Morales. This was a result of widespread protests and allegations of electoral fraud. Subsequently, new elections were held, and Luis Arce became the new president.
6. Sudan – Sudan underwent a major political transition in 2019, when a popular uprising led to the removal of longtime President Omar al-Bashir. This led to the establishment of a transitional government, eventually paving the way for a civilian-led administration.
7. Lebanon – In 2020, Lebanon faced widespread protests demanding political and economic reforms. The government resigned amidst the protests, leading to a political transition and resulting in the appointment of a new prime minister.
8. Nepal – In 2017, Nepal held its general elections, marking a major shift in political power. The Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist Center) and the Communist Party of Nepal (Unified Marxist–Leninist) formed an alliance and formed a new government with Khadga Prasad Oli as the Prime Minister.
9. Ukraine – Ukraine experienced a major political change in 2019 following the presidential election, which saw comedian Volodymyr Zelensky win by a landslide. This marked a transition from the previous government led by Petro Poroshenko.
10. Chile – In 2020, Chile went through a significant political change as a result of mass protests demanding political and constitutional reforms. The government agreed to hold a referendum on a new constitution, leading to further political transitions and preparations for the rewrite of the constitution.